What you must buy before opening a home-based daycare
Are you planning to open a home-based daycare? Here is a list of the things you will have to purchase. Note that this is a general list that must be adapted to your personal situation and needs. Please use it more like a list of suggestions, not obligations!
- Changing table
- High chair(s) and booster seat(s)
- Cubbyholes for cloakroom or a bench with shelves and hooks
- Naptime mattress(es) or small cot(s) for children 18 months and older
- Crib(s) or play yard(s) for children under 18 months
- Storage units for toys
- Book displays or storage units
- A table for meals, snacks, games, and crafts
- Small chairs
- A Ray-Lax chair or a chair that will be comfortable for you, the early childhood educator
- Storage unit for children's personal belongings and bedding
- Locked storage unit for cleaning and/or toxic products
- Locked medicine cabinet
Accessories and decorations:
- A shelf for storage over your changing table
- Curtains or blinds for windows
- Bulletin board or dry-erase board to display messages, your menu, etc.
- Changing table pad and mattress cover
- A few frames for displaying artwork, family pictures, etc.
- Rugs or mats
- Colourful cushions for your reading/relaxation area
Educational games and toys:
- Kitchen with accessories (dishes, plastic food items, pots and pans, etc.)
- A grocery cart with a cash register
- Arts & crafts material (paintbrushes, crayons, chalk, paper, cardboard, glue, scissors, etc.)
- Double-sided easel (for use with markers and chalk)
- Workbench with a variety of tools
- A wide selection of books
- Several board games and puzzles
- Dolls and accessories
- Musical instruments
- Figurines: people, insects, dinosaurs, etc.
- A garage with cars and trucks
- A doctor's kit
- Different types of blocks (Mega Bloks, wooden, etc.)
- A gate for your stairway (if necessary)
- Safety products (locks for drawers and cupboards, safe door handles, electrical outlet caps, etc.)
- Dishes, utensils, baby bottles, trainer cups, etc.
- Bibs and facecloths
- Stepping stool (for changing table and/or sink)
- Walking rope or multi-child stroller
- Potty or potty seat
- Laundry basket
- Diaper disposal system or garbage
- Recycling bin
- First aid kit
Extras (if needed or just for fun):
- Small refrigerator
- Microwave oven
- Filing cabinet or storage area for paperwork, contracts, accounting documents, etc.
- Television (if desired)
Interior designer (Créations Addap)
Educatall.com is not responsible for the content of this article. The information mentioned in this article is the responsibility of the author. Educatall.com shall not be held responsible for any litigation or issues resulting from this article.