Buzzing fly swatter
My daughters have developed a fear of bugs... this little project kept us out of the sun for a while and provided a tool to scare away any flying, crawling, buzzing creature which came their way!
1. Gather your materials. You will need yellow and black pipe cleaners, a hot glue gun, wiggly eyes, a black permanent marker, and fly swatters. We were lucky to find flower-shaped fly swatters at the Dollar store but regular fly swatters will do just fine too.
2. Show children how to wrap the metal "stem" with the pipe cleaners, alternating yellow and black pipe cleaners to create bee-like stripes. You may have to help them get started but they will quickly understand the idea.
3. Encourage them to push down on each pipe cleaner once they are done wrapping it around the "stem". Keep going until you reach the top of the metal portion.
4. Thread two black pipe cleaners through the holes, near the top of the fly swatter. Twist them to secure them in place.
5. Roll them around a marker or your finger to twist them and make them look like antennae.
6. Add googly eyes and use a permanent marker to draw a nose and a mouth.
element of this text may be copied, reproduced, distributed, published,
translated, downloaded, posted, or transmitted, in any way, without
prior written authorization from Educatall and the copyright holder.
Elements may be posted and/or downloaded solely for personal and
non-commercial use provided no modifications are made and all notices
of intellectual property are fully shown (name of the author, title of
the article, name of the website, date the text is used and the date of
the part in question).